EntertainmentForeign News

Russian Embassy Unable to Confirm Nationality of Suspect in Ghanaian Video Scandal – Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Russian authorities have been unable to confirm the nationality of the individual at the centre of the viral scandal involving non-consensual recording and publication of intimate videos of Ghanaian women, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has disclosed.

In a statement released following a diplomatic summons on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, the Ministry confirmed that Russia’s Ambassador to Ghana, Sergei Berdnikov, was called in on the instruction of Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa.

The meeting was to formally express Ghana’s “strong displeasure” at the “atrocious conduct” of the suspect, which the government described as a clear violation of Ghanaian law.

Ghana also used the opportunity to request Russia’s full cooperation in pursuing justice for the victims, amid serious concerns over privacy violations, digital exploitation and cybercrime implications.

Ambassador Berdnikov “acknowledged the violation of the privacy and dignity of the victims, and the larger cybercrime dimensions”, according to the Ministry. He expressed “the willingness of the Russian Federation to cooperate with the Republic of Ghana on the matter in issue.”

However, the Ambassador stated that he could not confirm the suspect is a Russian national.

“The Russian Ambassador, however, indicated that he is unable to confirm the Russian nationality of the individual at the centre of the intimate viral videos,” the statement said.

The Ministry added that the name circulating in the media “is not a known Russian name”. Ambassador Berdnikov explained that it “represents an inappropriate or vulgar expression in the Russian language.”

He further disclosed that Russian authorities are already aware of “similar activities of the said individual in other countries”, which are currently under investigation by Russian experts.

Despite the uncertainty over nationality, the Russian Embassy pledged support for Ghana’s efforts:

To identify and apprehend the suspect

To facilitate prosecution and bring him to justice

The Ambassador committed the Embassy in Accra to sharing relevant information to aid Ghana’s ongoing investigation.

The case has sparked national outrage, with formal complaints lodged by approximately 40 women. Investigations are being led by Ghanaian authorities under the Cybersecurity Act and related laws.

Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has previously indicated that Ghana will pursue all available legal and international cooperation mechanisms, including through Interpol, and may seek formal extradition if the suspect is located outside the country.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reiterated Ghana’s determination to protect the rights and dignity of its citizens in the digital space and to hold perpetrators accountable, regardless of nationality or location.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button