Premier League Referees to Crack Down on Holding and Grappling at Set-Pieces

Premier League referees have been instructed to take a stronger and stricter approach to holding, pushing, shoving, jostling and grappling inside the penalty area this season after the issue became widespread last term.
The clampdown follows complaints from managers, including Everton boss David Moyes, who said after a fractious game against Manchester United in February that referees “really don’t want to get involved in any of it” and described the situation as “really poor”.
The issue was highlighted again in May when West Ham had a goal disallowed against Arsenal amid multiple potential fouls at a set-piece. It became one of the key topics discussed during summer consultations with captains, coaches, referees and other stakeholders.
Although the laws of the game have not changed, officials in the Premier League, English Football League and Women’s Super League will now focus more closely on “holding actions that have clear material impact”.
Particular attention will be paid to non-footballing actions where a player is only focusing on the opponent rather than the ball, makes no attempt to play or challenge for the ball, holds an opponent with both arms, or commits sustained and impactful holding of an opponent or their clothing.
A defender who has their back to the ball and whose only intention is to prevent an attacker’s movement will be penalised under the new emphasis.
Howard Webb, the Premier League referees’ chief, said he wants officials to be more proactive.
“We’re trying to get the officials to be as confident as they can be to penalise what they see,” Webb said. “So fewer warnings, more actions penalised, and if there’s any reduction in offences being penalised it should be a result of a modification of player behaviour rather than us no longer applying it.”
Of the 20 missed VAR interventions last season, a quarter involved penalties not awarded when a player had been wrestled to the ground off the ball.
The Premier League will not adopt the stricter approach seen at the World Cup, where goalkeepers received greater protection. Contact remains part of the game, but restricting a goalkeeper’s arm movement will continue to be treated as a foul.
Players have already been shown examples of incidents from last season that would now be penalised, including cases of off-the-ball wrestling and an arm around the neck.
Webb acknowledged that opinions on borderline decisions often split even among players at the same club, underlining the challenge referees and VARs face.
Set-pieces accounted for a record 25.7 per cent of Premier League goals last season, the highest proportion among Europe’s top leagues. Arsenal led the way with 25 goals scored from set-pieces, while Liverpool conceded a league-high 19.
Webb believes a consistent approach will force teams to adjust their tactics and reduce the number of problematic incidents.
The new season begins on Friday night when champions Arsenal host promoted Coventry City.





